Here is a SharePoint Framework web part I have put together to show an organisation chart for the current user:
Code is available on GitHub as part of the SharePoint Framework client-side web part samples & tutorials: https://github.com/SharePoint/sp-dev-fx-webparts/tree/master/samples/react-organisationchart
(click to zoom)
1) For getting the Manager and the Reports of the current user, the ExtendedManagers and DirectReports user profile properties are used.
2) Uses the OrgChart CSS directly from the Office UI Fabric: http://dev.office.com/fabric/OrgChart (Not the Office UI Fabric React components which are still in progress)
The Office UI Fabric CSS is bundled together with the web part and not referenced externally. In the OrganisationChart.module.scss:
Thanks to my colleague and buddy Paul Ryan for this tip.
3) The REST API calls are made with the HttpClient belonging to the current ServiceScope. No need to pass web part properties or the web part context.
4) The Managers and DirectReports are fetched by registering a mapping of the UserProfileService class in the current ServiceScope
5) OData Batching is used to get details (Photos, Titles, Profile Urls) of all DirectReports in a single call. (Similarly, if more than one Manager exists in the ExtentedManagers property, details of all users are fetched in a single batch call)
More on OData Batching in my previous post: Batch REST requests in SPFx using the ODataBatch preview
Hope you find this useful!